Finding A Used Truck That's Right For You
Are you looking for a used truck? As with the purchase of any used vehicle, you should shop carefully so you don't end up with a lemon. Most automakers have offerings in the light- or heavy-duty truck category, meaning that your choices can seem almost endless. The used truck market is booming, and it can be difficult to work through all your options. Read on to learn how to find a used truck that meets your needs.
Used Trucks: Are They Right for You?
Before you start shopping, it might be helpful to honestly assess your needs. Answering the following questions may point you in the right direction:
- How will I use the truck each day?
- How far will I drive?
- Do I need 4-wheel drive, or can I do without?
- Will I be towing anything?
- How will I maintain the truck?
- Has the truck previously been in an accident?
The questions above are just a starting point, but they will help you think about important issues before you end up buying a vehicle that doesn't suit your purpose. Work trucks are different from passenger pickups; they have several traits that set them apart. Work trucks usually have the largest available engine, and they usually have crew or standard cabs (as opposed to an extended cab). Truck beds are often heavy-duty and frequently come with work-related add-ons.
Evaluate Your Options
Once you have assessed your needs, you can start looking at different makes and models. If you don't plan to do much towing and need to transport your family, there's really no need to look at a standard-cab, ¾ ton pickup. When you decide what you need, start looking for used trucks in your area.
Get the Details
When calling a seller to ask about a truck, or when talking to a salesperson, it makes sense to ask the following questions.
- What's the year/make/model/engine size/transmission on the truck? (if the information hasn't already been offered)
- How many miles are on the odometer?
- Can I test drive it and get it inspected?
- Can I see the truck's maintenance history?
- How many owners has the truck had?
- Have there been any accidents or major repairs?
The answers to the questions above will help you find the right truck for your needs. Take note of the answers you receive, and if a seller is reluctant to offer information, consider taking your business elsewhere. Contact a local used truck outlet, such as Auto Max, for further assistance.